Saturday, March 25, 2017

The end is near! I'm happy, but then again, not so happy, because I have enjoyed this class SO much. I've learned a lot and I wish that everyone could take this class. It's an eye opener and if we all knew the concepts taught in this class, families all around the world could be better off. Anyways, the topic for this week is parenting! Here are a few purposes to parenting:

  • growing experience(for both child and adult)
  • raise children
  • survival
  • prepare children for the bigger community
  • emotional coaches
  • to protect and prepare to survive and to thrive in the world in which they will live
This last bullet point is my favorite! Parenting is a big responsibility and should not be take lightly. 
Next we discussed a problem-handling method. Notice how I used the word "handling" and not "solving." Sometimes you simply can't solve the problem but you can't just ignore it. Parent and child must work together to handle it. 
By the time your children are teens, the greatest influence can come from your relationship with that child. The first step in handling a problem is to ask, "Who owns the problem? & Who will it affect the most? This question isn't meant to through around blame or say who's fault it is, but simply who will the problem affect.
 If the child owns the problem, it's best to let the child learn from natural consequences. The only reasons a parent should step in, would be if 1. The natural consequences are too dangerous 2. too far in the future and 3. if they will affect someone else as well. 
If the parent has a problem with the child there are 4 step the parent can take. Start off with 1. A polite request 2. "I statement" (I'll explain below) 3. Firm request and 4. Logical consequences
An I statement goes as follows, "When you... I feel... because... I would like..." If you get to the point where you need to make a logical consequence, make sure that these are discussed in advance with your child, and that you follow through with that particular consequence. 
That's all I got for today. 
Thanks! Karly B. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment